Sunday, August 10, 2014

I miss you, whoever you are (even if you are me).

This, I have seen on my timeline more than once. Not only that, but I also have experienced the feeling. There is a void, somewhere, and it seems that only someone can fill it. I want to share things, to be listened to, I want interaction. With someone I am sure exists, who will provide all that.

But is it healthy to miss someone you've never met? No wait. Wrong question… the right one is:


"Who are you actually missing?"


If you've listened to the previous podcast about positive thinking, you'll remember I like to give some space to thought processes rather than focus on their consequences. From this perspective, missing these interactions (which I cannot find in my direct environment) is the actual process.
Now, that I decide to embody them into someone I've never met or a bowl of instant noodle is barely relevant: what I want isn't noodles, or someone, it's the interaction.

Further than that, what I miss is the satisfaction behind the interaction, the high of doing something meaningful, exciting, out of my comfort zone but still comfortable… actually, in a nutshell… I am bored


Idealizing a person I don't even know...


...isn't going to help: since I don't know that person, there will be no one to relieve my boredom in the first place - I will have to take care of that myself.
Ah but about love and care, these other feeling I miss in people?
Same thing! There is nobody to answer my wish, so again, I'll rely on good old me for some extra pampering.



Now let's say a random stranger to knocks at my door and declares "I've been looking for you all my life, now let me love you and entertain you". Not only I would go through a major freak out, but I would ask random stranger to slow down. How can she take care of me, love me and share with me when she has no idea about who I am and what I like? The intention is fine, but it's a process right?

What if, then, I could knock at my own door, and tell myself the exact same words? What would be my reaction? Would I say "Dude, I'm with you 24/7 and you're doing a great job at this already", or would I say "You, too, have to slow down, because I'm not sure we're quite acquainted yet".


See what I did there? 


The random stranger I'm missing, this provider of love, care and entertainment, could very well be… me. Provided I knew myself enough, that is.

Yup, self knowledge looks like a great way to get rid of boredom and loneliness

On that note, I'm going to have some noodles, see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment